Users of Windows 10 must have observed that the OS comes with its own security suite. Windows Defender is a great anti-virus program, but if you wish to install a different security suite, then it may cause conflicts. If you wish to find out how to disable Windows Defender permanently or temporarily, then you should read this blog.
Before you turn off Windows Defender, it is recommended to make a backup. If you want to disable Windows Defender just for some time, then it can be done easily. Disabling Windows Defender permanently is a bit trickier and requires you to access the Windows Registry.
Let’s go through the methods for disabling Windows Defender in Windows 10.
Read More >> Best Ways to Extend the Windows 10 Battery Life
Disabling Windows Defender Temporarily
- Launch the Start menu by clicking the Windows icon located in the lower left-hand corner of the screen.
- Now, you need to locate the gear icon located in the left pane of the Start menu.
- Click on the Settings icon.
- In the Settings screen, select Update and Security.
- After that, select the Windows Security option from the left pane.
- Now, go to Protection areas and select Virus and threat protection.
- Scroll down and click on the Virus and threat protection settings link.
- Now, scroll down to Real-time protection.
- Click on the bar below it, and turn real-time protection off.
- When the prompt appears, click on the Yes option.
- Windows Defender will stay disabled until the system gets rebooted.
Disabling Windows Defender Permanently
- Launch the Start screen. You can either click on the Windows logo or press the Win key.
- Wait for the Start menu to appear.
- Now, you need to launch Registry Editor.
- Enter Regedit text in the search option.
- Now, click on the broken cube icon called regedit.
- After that, press the Yes button when the prompt comes.
- Now, you need to expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder. Double-click on it,
- Double-click on the Software folder for expanding it.
- Locate the Policies folder, and double-click on it to expand it.
- After that, find Microsoft folder and double-click on it.
- Finally, click on the Windows Defender folder.
- Now, you need to right-click on the chosen folder.
- From the menu that appears, select New.
- From the pop-out menu, click on DWORD 32-bit Value.
- Rename the DWORD file to DisableAntiSpyware and hit the Enter key.
- Double-click on the renamed file.
- In the following screen, change the Value data to 1.
- Hit the OK option located at the bottom of the screen.
- Reboot the system for the changes to be effective.
- How to turn on Windows Defender
- Open the Registry Editor by entering regedit in the Start menu.
- Open the Windows Defender folder and click on it.
- Double-click on DisableAntiSpyware.
- In the space below Value Data, key in 0.
- Hit the OK button at the bottom.
- Reboot the computer.